Creich Manse is situated off the A92 between Glenrothes and Dundee, just beside the village of Brunton. The Reverend Collins is the Minister of this parish, and the circle is within the grounds of the manse. He and his wife are friendly and welcoming, and must be approached for permission to view the circle - which is readily given.
These delightful concentric circles were moved from their original position in 1817, and set up exactly as found within the grounds of the manse. Canmore describes it thus: "In the centre of this feature was an upright cylindrical sandstone 14" high by 12" diameter, around which at a distance of 3' was a circle of 16 upright stones, and beyond that a circle 15' in diameter consisting of 32 upright stones the number of points in a compass, and in both circles, a stone larger than the rest was placed at each end of the cardinal points. The stones forming the inner circle were of sandstone which could not be obtained nearer than Cupar Moor, seven miles away; the stones of the outer circle were of local whinstone. Due S of the centre, and between it and circle B were two sculptured stones, the remaining space being paved. When being removed, burned human bones and charcoal were found under the inner of the two sculptured stones." And that's pretty much what you see today. The sculptured stones are interesting, if vaguely detailed: a circle, a circle with extensions (ewer?), two raised mounds with a groove between, and a square with circle on top containing a crescent.
This site may have been moved from its original locus, but retains a great deal of charm, even on a cold winter's morning. Well worth a visit! (9th January 2003).