The Wester Tullybannocher Stones

Ordnance Survey Map Reference NN754225

The stones looking north

The western stone looking south, showing cup marks

The eastern stone looking south

The stones looking south

The stones looking west

The stones looking east


These stones lie in a field to the north of the A85, just west of the village of Comrie. Whilst marked on the OS map as the remains of a stone circle, there is no residual evidence of any other stones. Canmore states (from a 1911 entry): "Only two stones remain of this stone circle although there were three up to c.1883 when one fell down and was removed. The stones are 22' apart and 5' and 4'8" high respectively." Perhaps they were originally a four-poster, it's hard to say without knowing what was the position of the third stone. The western stone has at least four cup-marks on it. They are certainly in a fine position, and the views round about are spectacular.

Visited 13th March 2003


Click here for a map
courtesy of StreetMap

Look up this location on the Megalithic Portal

Return to Perth index